Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Team Umiak
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Son and I got out to fish the Yak today not knowing what the conditions were gonna be like. Drove right to Ringer launch.

Arrival time about 1015, water temp 59, air temp about 85. Water level about 3100 cfs, water vis about 2 feet. Ben and I walked and fished upstream about ¼ mile.

Ben fished an ehc about size 12 on a floating line, 4X leader, 4X tippet. I started with an intermediate tip on my 5wt versi , 5X leader, 5X tippet with a pat’s stone nymph about size 8. Switched to a floating tip, same leader/tippet, and a stimi about size 8. A few caddis coming off maybe size 14-16. A few hoppers noted.

We left Ringer and headed downstream to check it out. Stopped @ Bighorn, mm20, umtanem, just above big pines, mm9, and roza.

Saw Mumbles pickup rig at Mahres..mm9. Hope you and the fam had a wonderful trip Ed. The weather was uber WARM.

Eric

·
Addicted to flyfishing
500 Posts
Fished from KOA to MM 20. Most everything was on nymphs- stonefly nymphs and caddis nymphs. We probably caught 20 trout most in the 8 to 12 inch range, one thick 17 incher a couple of squawfish and an 8 lb sucker. Caddis started coming off around 5. We got a couple of dinks on caddis dries but nothing to brag about. Alll in all a dgreat day on the river.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Fished with David Child of Dream Fly Fishing Friday evening. We floated from Lmuma to Roza and started around 6PM. Nymphing was the game early and picked up several fish on a gold LB, then we switched to dries and the fun began. A summer stone imitation with a caddis dry dropper setup. We hit fish until we couldn't see our fly anymore. A couple in the 16-20" range and many in the 8-12" range. The fish were exploding to the top on nearly every cast. I think we landed 15-20 and countless numbers of misses and LDRs. My son hooked a hog on one side of the boat and after several leaps it went under the boat, he dipped his rod and the fish jumped clear on the other side, what a sight to see. What a blast!!!!

·
Long Lost Member
20,435 Posts
Mr. Electric, I did not see you but hope you had a great time. It was HOT. It was CROWDED. It was a BLAST.
Derek, did not see you either (unless you were the masked man...was that you and were you in the new boat?), I was doding the most unearthly collection of inflatable devices on both Saturday and Sunday. What a riot. My first two days in the canyon, I fished about ten minutes total because this trip was all about the ladies. Guess who caught fish! You were probably waving and hollering my way and I was just oblivous to the world watching my 6 year old cast her little underspin rod with a casting bubble and YES...barbless stonefly nymph with surprising distance and accuracy! Report to follow!

·
Long Lost Member
20,435 Posts
I'm that obvious when I'm out there? No wonder all the other boats gave me a wide berth...that skunky cloud lingers!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.