Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
According to the latest F&W "special rules" it is closed for trout during the time frame you've stated but it's open for other "game fish" , which would mean they could be fishing for white fish. My guess is they are fishing for whatever they can catch and then releasing the trout.

I've seen the cars along the road the last 3 times I've been up there and one of the cars is a regular fixture at a pullout year around. I've seen the guys suiting up and stringing their fly rods both there as well as above the dam. They may not actually know. Maybe next time through I'll stop and either speak with them, if they're still at the car or leave a note.

Greg

"In our family, there is no clear
line between religion and fly
fishing" Norman Maclean

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
A WDFW loophole that some people take advantage of. They claim they are fishing for whitefish. ya, sure you are. Illegal? No. Unethical? that's open to debate. I personnally would NOT do it. If a warden questioned these people, I would think they would have a hard time keeping a straight face. The real question is are they harming anything? IS WDFW wrong/right for closing this area? Why are they closing it? Answer that, and make up your own mind.:professor YT:smokin

·
Registered
315 Posts
******, you make a great point. The whitefish season above the dam is a prime example of people that target any fish they can catch, using bait!! This season really is stressful on the rainbows because when they are hooked, they swallow the bait and hook very deep. This will kill most trout, even if they are released and I'm not 100% sure that all of the trout are released.

The best thing that could happen on the Yak above Roza would be to see the bait season for whitefish closed.

Just my opinion!

Greg

"In our family, there is no clear
line between religion and fly
fishing" Norman Maclean

·
Registered
844 Posts
******... You are sooooooo right. It happens every where.... Sort of reminds me of those yahoo fly fishermen on the NF of the Stilly and Sauk who say they're targeting steelhead when they're obviously fishing for coho. :beathead

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.