Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fished the Yak on Saturday. I thought the flows were going to higher than they were, but it was in good shape. I fished a Sculpzilla all day and landed a couple nice ones. Pictures attached. It was warm enough that there were some tiny midges coming off, and I even saw a what looked like a 16" cutt sip one of the surface. Good day to be out!

View attachment 28264 View attachment 28265 View attachment 28266 View attachment 28267

·
2,880 Posts
Nice pics. I really like the pic of the otter.

·
Long Lost Member
20,209 Posts
Sweet report. Hit it the day before with EmergingRivers. We had some success and a fantastic outing. I agree that the river was in much better shape than I anticipated. Warming, clear and there was a lot of hatch activity.

·
Registered
350 Posts
River otters eat 15 to 20% of their body weight daily. River otters' diets consist largely of crayfishes, crabs, and other aquatic invertebrates; fishes; and frogs. Despite concern that otters compete with game fishers, the fishes that otters consume are mainly non-game species. Otters may also occasionally prey on birds, rabbits, and rodents. Right out of google.
Craig

·
Banned
10,387 Posts
Seeing those little guys out there did get me thinking about that. I wonder how many fish they eat each day? Can they catch big fish?
Great report, nice fish. As for the otters, their no worse than the Merganzers, Heron and King Fishers...all part of the system and lots more fun to watch.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
When you think of all the things in the river ecosystem that want to eat trout (otters, birds, people, other fish) it makes you remember how lucky we are when we catch and release a big beautiful trout. :thumb:

·
Blind hog fisherman
2,895 Posts
Nice report and photos especially the otters. There are always photos of great fish on this forum but I enjoy seeing "what else" was on the trip. I don't seem to get tired of watching osprey, eagles, or seals taking fish. I try to remember they aren't the reason for the huge decline in fisheries resources in the world, including the Pacific Northwest. Some highly evolved mammal did all of that damage.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.