Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Three of us fished the Canyon today and all three of us were skunked.

Lots of snow on the ground, but once we started fishing, we warmed up. Actually, a very nice day.

Started at Umtanum at 10:00 AM. Just under the bridge, I hooked and LLR'd a nice fish caught swinging a #12 Olive Bugger w/lead bead eyes. At least I got to see the fish roll. Probably around 12".

At about 11:30 AM, one of my partners got a monster pull that stripped a bunch of line and practically pulled him off-balance before the fish rolled and threw the hook (#8 Black bugger with some crystal flash). He was on the opposite side of the river and I heard the reel scream and his yelp of surprise. That made his day. He talked about it all the way back home.

At noon, we moved upriver to the slides, where I got LLR'd another fish caught on a #16 bead-head prince. Never saw the fish, but he stayed down and fought pretty hard. Lots of fun.

About 2:00 PM, I found a midge hatch with some sipping trout. Looked to be pretty good sized, too. Switched to a #18 midge imitation but didn't get so much as a look. Midges everywhere, tho'.

Quit at 3:00 PM so we could make it back over the pass during daylight.

Other info:

Water temp was 39 Degrees and visibility was less than 18". Color wasn't too bad, but the water was 900 CFS, up from 800 CFS the day before. Very little wind, and what wind there was was downstream.

Cheers,

Michael

·
Registered
316 Posts
Thanks for the nice report. I haven't been up on the river for over 3 weeks now and I'm getting the itch. Planning to get up there on Monday. Hopefully the weather will hold and the river will not rise or turn off color too much.

Greg

"In our family, there is no clear
line between religion and fly
fishing" Norman Maclean

·
Registered
31 Posts
I had a great day on the Yakima. I fished a small beadhead stone that I picked up at The Evening Hatch, with a copper john dropper. The fish seemed to be laying shallow (2' or so) in the tailouts around the Ringer Road Public Access. About 40% of my fish were whitefish though.

Good luck,
Jeff

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.