Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Yakima was gorgeous today. Maybe I'm a little more elated than the typical Eastern fly fisher, but to a rain soaked Seattlite, the sun went through to my bones and provided a much needed boost.

Before we get started: I've fished the Yak' about 6 times. So, take my report with the grain of salt that it deserves.

Who: JesseCFowl, Docstash, and one of my rotten good for nothing bragging S.O.B. friends from Montana.
Where: The lower canyon - Red's to "Big Pines"
How Many: 3 (2 trout, 1 ugly assed, good for nothing, croaking, hook spittin' whitefish)

The Details: My buddy from Montana and I have been talking about getting out on the river together for what must be about 9 months. Needless to say, neither of us are good fishing buddies to each other. But, we had a lot of catching up to do and finally decided to put something set in stone on the calendar. We woke our asses up, made the groggy slog from Seattle to Pioneer Coffee for a little morning "boost" and headed further down to Red's where we met up with our new buddy Doctash.

Docstash saw another one of my posts begging shamelessly for someone to take me down the river if they had an extra seat. I guess he had a weak moment and took pity on me. Well, I took full advantage and brought a friend. Thanks Doc!

The morning was absolutely gorgeous. Spring is here guys! The fellas at Red's were really helpful in picking out a couple flies. (Pat's Stone, Lightning Bug Droppers) We nymphed the whole time. Montana boy was the first to hook up. He landed a nice rainbow trout and I tell you what, it made my day to see the smile on his face. It's been too long since this kid has felt the slime. (yeah yeah, we wet our hands first and everything, don't seizure out on me)

The rest of the float went by too fast. We got out at a nice broad slow section and began to take a little more time passing our goodies to the unsuspecting foolish trout. Welp, guess we were the fools, because not one of the little bastards wanted any of it. I managed to get myself tangled up in a nasty gang of leviathan whitefish. They took turns barreling off with my pat's stone, only to break off at the last adrenaline fueled moment. To hell with them anyways. (I need to work on my landing skills)

There were a lot of friendlies on the river today. Most of the boats we saw were catching fish. So, it seems like the activity is picking up. All in all, what an awesome day that I'll remember for a long time. Yeah, even though I got technically skunked, I still left with one thing; an incurable addiction to drift boats.

I tell you what, this is what it's all about for me. Making new friends that I know I'll see again and having a great excuse to hang out with the old buddies we've lost touch with. Docstash - thanks again for your hospitality. We owe you one.

Cheers,
-Jesse

·
Long Lost Member
20,209 Posts
Jesse, great report. Glad to hear that you, Docstash and your rotten good for nothing friend from MT ha a great time. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
350 Posts
It was a lot of laughs for all I hope, I sure had a good time. Of course I am usually going to have a good time no matter what as other fine members of this web site can attest to. Doesn't really matter the size of the rubber hatch that is on the river, or the fact that 20 boats just put in before me on the Klickitat, or if Red's or Jack's guides float over the water I am swinging. I believe I have mellowed a bit from when I was younger, no more filling the anchor bucket up with rocks to pitch at the rubber hatch. Of course one of the guys I floated with had a flask of aged scotch, and then there is one gentleman that brings a flask of something I have never heard of ugh--bacon flavored vodka, kind of makes my toes curl just saying it.

Craig

·
Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
14,855 Posts
Bacon Vodka Bloody Mary's....a good way to start the fishing morning off, especially if you are sporting a hangover from the night before.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I do remember once that someone said lets go fishing and I could not, do not remember when it was. Just because I am an old fart and my memory is not quite as sharp as it once was, did I mention bacon flavored vodka yet, I still live to fish.
Craig

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey Hey, there's no way you're hijacking my thread without at least an invite ;)

Just kidding guys. I'm pretty much against the wall with work this week. Have fun!

·
I hope she likes whitefish
1,724 Posts
Friday sounds perfect to me! I know Doc is in...Derek, you want to take the day off and drag your boat down and we can double boat it..? I'll bring the breakfast (mmmmm, bacon vodka) and run a shuttle.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Friday sounds perfect to me! I know Doc is in...Derek, you want to take the day off and drag your boat down and we can double boat it..? I'll bring the breakfast (mmmmm, bacon vodka) and run a shuttle.
right on! I can run a shuttle as well (4 person suv)

keep your fingers crossed that the dry fly action will be in swing :)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.