Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Missing Member
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently picked up a book on Washington rivers and see there are a good number of ramps on the Yakima River below Yakima. I have fished the lower river below Horn Rapids for bass many times and in the area of Horn Rapids county park. Wondering if anyone has experience floating the river between Yakima and Benton City. Not looking for fishing info necessarily but floating experience, such as hazards, optimum times, flows, reasonable 4-6 hour floats, etc. I would float with a SOT kayak or one-man pontoon. Thanks in advance.

·
Now hanging at the other, better new place
3,681 Posts
Recently picked up a book on Washington rivers and see there are a good number of ramps on the Yakima River below Yakima. I have fished the lower river below Horn Rapids for bass many times and in the area of Horn Rapids county park. Wondering if anyone has experience floating the river between Yakima and Benton City. Not looking for fishing info necessarily but floating experience, such as hazards, optimum times, flows, reasonable 4-6 hour floats, etc. I would float with a SOT kayak or one-man pontoon. Thanks in advance.
There is a guy, @Salmon Candy that I bet would know.

·
Missing Member
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The 2018 Sept./Oct. issue of Northwest Fly Fishing magazine has an informative article on the Yakima below Rosa Dam.
Thanks, I saw that and wondered why they didn't mention the contentious issue about crossing the railroad tracks below Rosa. I am looking for floating info much farther downriver, between Union Gap and Benton City.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
No experience myself.
But note that during the summer much of the river is diverted into the irrigation system with the unused returned to the river before Benton city.
So water volume in the natural river bed is limited
J

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.