Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi:

I joined this forum about a month ago and requested some information on fishing the Yakima River. The response from members was super (including some private e-mails), and I have planned out what I intend to do.
However, in Greg Thomas's book "FlyFishers Guide to Washington," I have taken note of some special regulations for the river section from "Easton to Roza Dam." It indicates that this section of river is C&R (which I intended to practice anyhow!) but requires "single, barbless hooks." That's easy enough to do, but in different states this has different implications.
Which one of the following applies?
(1) Anglers may have barbed hooks in possession, but must pinch down the barb when attaching to the tippet for use, OR
(2) Anglers may NOT possess any barbed hooks while on these waters.

Also, does the "single hook" regulation prohibit dropper fly fishing?

Thanks.

Bob Ballantyne
Pennsylvania
:)

·
Registered
21 Posts
I fished that river daily while I was in college and was checked a few times (until I got to know the sheriff and warden).

My assumption was you can not use barbed flies for fishing. I was never questioned about possession of barbed flies.

Also "single, barbless hook" does not include a dropper as that is a very effective way to catch fish on that river.

·
A collector never stops collecting!
4,846 Posts
The single barbless hook requirement only means that you can't use hooks that have more than one point. No double or treble hooks. You can use a dropper, and if you are both flies you use must be barbless or pinched down.

I think the reg is written that way, because there is a short season, where people are allowed to fish for whitefish with gear, but no bait. I participated in a clean up in March and was amazed at the amount of non-fly gear, not to mention garbage, that was in the bushs. I'm sure there is a lot of poaching on the river that isn't caught, although I haven't seen any personally.

Welcome to the land of the confusing regs! Stop by one of the fly shops in the canyon when you get there if there's any confusion. The Evening Hatch is off of exit 109 on I90 and Red's Fly Shop is in the canyon at mile marker 19 (I think.). There's another in town (Ellensburg) called Worley Bugger as well and they all have websites that you can check out river reports before you head out there. They are listed in your book or above on the 'shops' link.

Bill

·
Registered
704 Posts
Considering many people pinch their barbs right on the river, I don't think there are any laws about possessing barbed flies.

As stated above, "single" means only one hook per fly or lure but not limited to one hook per rig. Some people use 3 or 4 flies in a string when fishing. Most use a maximum of 2 flies per rig, dry and dropper nymph or weighted nymph and smaller trailing nymph, etc.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Let me also point out that for waters that are designated "fly fishing only" you can only use up to two flies and each has to have a single barbless hook.

For normal waters, you can use up to three flies. The statement about using four flies is not legal on any river or lake in Washington that I am aware of.

Pete

·
Just an Old Man
35,203 Posts
I forgot what I was supposed to remember.

Pete is right but for the life of me I can't imagine using three flies on one line as casting two is hard enough.

I don't know why reading the Regs is so hard. Just look up where you are going to fish and figure it out from there. I only fish about 10 to 15 rivers and streams and before I go I make sure that I'm well read up on all the regs that pertain to where I go. I think that people try to read into the regs stuff that isn't there. I try to keep a copy of the regs at my stupid computer so I know what I'm talking about and one in my car so I know I'm not breaking the law.

Jim

·
Registered
792 Posts
The regs aren't that hard but it could definitely be made easier. Saying the river is open to the third cable crossing or to such and such diversion dam makes it confusing. I enjoyed fishing Montana last year. Their regs are short, to the point, and simple. It was refreshing.

Pete

·
Just an Old Man
35,203 Posts

Yes they are sometimes. Like the N/fork of the Sky. It is closed 1000' below Bear Creek Falls to Deer falls. Well Deer falls is not on any map that I have and I also emailed the WDFW to have then pin point the falls to help me find the open spot and they were a little vague(sp) about it. So I had to do a little search for myself and now I think that I'm close to that spot. Also I could go on and on about some of the things about the regs but there isn't enough time for me to do it all.

Jim

Sorry this is not about the Yakima but it is still flowing water.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi:

Dropping back in her probably one last time before I head out to Washington on 21 July. I'm all set up for what I want to do on the Yakima, and have bought a two-day NR license on-line and rec'd same.

I downloaded the booklet of regulations for Washington State and noted a curious rule that I'd like to clarify just for my own information.

It wont affect me as I will be fly fishing and releasing everything I might be lucky enough to get a tight line on, but I noticed under the general regulations a bait reg that I have never seen in any other state.

The regs say that a person may only creel two trout a day, and if one is fishing with bait, even a caught and released trout counts towards the creel limit.

Does this mean that if a bait fisherman (targeting trout), catches and releases two trout on live bait that he is done fishing for the day?

Meantime, thanks again for all the advice. Hope the Yakima is as friendly as you guys.

:beer2

Bob Ballantyne
Pennsylvania

·
Registered
41 Posts
I fished my favorite section again this weekend. Twice I came across people using bait (powerbait). Both times it was dad with young kids and I am all for getting kids excited about fishing. As I passed them going down river, I inquired into how the fishing was. Since the reply was "not very good", I interjected a comment about how the stream is a Catch and Release - Fly Fishing only stream and the fish probably have never seen powerbait and do not know what it is. It got my point across without getting in their face.

Yes, there are a lot of people that fish that stream that do not know the regulations. :beathead

·
Registered
140 Posts
Pete,
I had written the WDFW and asked why the Yakima wasn't flyfishing only during the salmon hatchery comment period. They wrote me back and told me if it was flyfishing only, you won't be able to use a dropper. Flyfishing only waters would allow for only "one" single barbless hook, no droppers. That is why they left it as a selective fishery.
It seems like their are alot of different opinions regarding these rules.
This is what was expressed to me via email, if you know otherwise, please let the board know where it is referenced.
Brian

·
Just an Old Man
35,203 Posts

Brian,you better read the regs again on flyfishing only. You can use two flies in fly only water just as long as they both are single and barbless. What you are saying was that was the way it was last year. This year it is two flies. Page 14 of the regs under Fly Fishing Only.

Jim

·
Registered
704 Posts
You know, I fished the Yak when I was young with bait. I also fished the Snoqualmie with bait. Chopaka with bait, Nunnaly with bait, Rattlesnake with bait, Deschutes with bait, etc.:eek

It took me a long time to figure out how to flyfish. I broke rods, tangled lines, lost entire outfits, etc.

I learned about the habitat through using priwinkles because they cost nothing and were everywhere. I still released what I caught and used small barbed hooks.

Beats X-box and MTV!
:dunno

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.