Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fishing report March 30th
Mile Post 9 10:15 a.m. to 12:00 noon
Air temp 58 degrees when I started, 64 when I stopped
Water temp was 45
2328 cfs
No wind, mostly sunny with an occasional cloud (not many)
2 weight rod 5 X tippet
Size 14 Parachute BWO with a trailing size 18 gray CDC emerger
6 fish hooked, 3 fish landed
2 on the emerger, 1 on the dry (had switched to a size16 Parachute Adams)
The 3 I lost all broke off the emerger (tied to the dry with 6X tippet)
Largest was 14”; the other 2 were 12”
Tons of bugs floating down the river. Lots of large Baetis that the fish were keying in on. Saw a few Caddis and one Skwala that landed on my sunglasses.

Took a break to stop in a chat with Steve Joyce at Red’s and see what was happening on the river. Lots of morning boat traffic from Bighorn down to Red’s. Only saw a few wade fishermen below Red’s. Most of the afternoon boat traffic was below Red’s.

Mile Post 9 2:00 – 3:00 p.m.
Air temp 71 degrees when I started, 73 when I stopped
Water temp was 48 A little wind, sunny
2374 cfs
2 weight rod 5 X tippet
I worked about 50 yards of the run with the dry and the trailing emerger again, to no avail. Did not see any bugs out on the water and never saw a rising fish. Too lazy to walk back to my rig and switch rods so I could flip Skwalas (the two weight with 5 X tippet just doesn’t cut it with bigger bugs against a little wind). I switched over to a size 16 tan, elk hair caddis.

I knew where there was a large fish from earlier this morning (it was rising in a tough spot to get a drag free drift into and I had put it down this morning with a bad cast). One false cast to measure the right length and dropped the 2nd cast right on the inside of the foam line. The fish slammed it, took off for the middle of the river and made 2 jumps. Every chance I had to reel in line was met with another run & jump (3 runs and 4 jumps all total). The fish finally worked its way over to the slower water near the bank and I proceeded to work my way downstream reeling in the slack that I got.

Finally worked the fish to hand and while it seemed like it took 20 minutes, it was actually only 8 minutes). I now have a new Yakima River personal best. 18” rainbow measured against the preset mark on my fly rod. I was able to keep the fish in the water and it revived quickly and it darted off to the safety of a large rock, out of the faster current.

Worked a little further upstream but no more takers. I had to get back to the Tri-cities so called it a day.

Greg

"In our family, there is no clear
line between religion and fly
fishing" Norman Maclean

·
I’m a whale
4,667 Posts
hey wast today beautiful, i camped at the BLM at umtanum last night got up early and did some hiking up across the suspension bridge and then came back and fished below the BLM for most of the day wading, hooked three and landed my first trout of the year! nice 13 inch fatty!:smokin yakkity yak, s#@!! im going back! was fishing some nice patterns i.e. creekside angling , asked for two and both worked great all day. just got back , burnt , and tired:rofl - bhudda

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Hey, Greg,

Thanks for the work on your high tech. report. Had fun just mulling it all over. Funny how rather dry facts can
create interest in the mind of at least some beholders.
Congrats. on taking a personal best--allways a fun thing to do. I'm gearing up for a war further east of the Yak. and, as usual, I'll probably just drive on past the river and ignore the best game in town. I always seem to do this.
B.:thumb

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm sort of a "just the facts" type of guy. I leave the flowery prose to those that can weave the vision into their story. Also a creature of habit. I tend to always head for the two or three spots that I know I can catch fish. I need to really explore more areas.

Greg

fishing" Norman Maclean

·
Registered
416 Posts
Nice report Greg, and congrats on a fine fish. Though unlikely, if we get a few nights to freezing temps, and can settle down the flows, I'd like to go and check out HWY 10 between the Thorp Bridge and the Teanaway mid-week. You're welcome to join me. Now if we could only get a drift boat and put in at the Teanaway.. The spring hatches should be starting to make their way into that area by now. How's that for exploring?

Sparse

Streams are made for the wise man to contemplate and fools to pass by.
(Sir Izaak Walton)

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Let me know what day and I'll probably go with you.

Greg

fishing" Norman Maclean

·
Registered
777 Posts
I fished the Yak yesterday (Sunday), drifting, and it was unreal. Absolutely unreal. Best dry fly fishing this year, for sure. I stopped counting around 5 fish landed, as normal, and easily caught four times that amount. All I casted all day was a #8 Royal Wulff Parachute on my four weight! Ended up cutting off the dropper as it was getting in the way! Gotta love non-stop action, after a long winter, I realize how much I miss dry fly fishing.

Water was on the rise when we got off the water last night just before dark.

worldanglr
http://www.worldanglr.com/

Calling Fly Fishing a hobby is like calling Brain Surgery a job.
-Paul Schullery

·
Registered
578 Posts
Hey,

We just pontooned on Sunday from the E. Cle Elum WDFW put-in to Swauk Creek. It's a long float, but daylight savings is coming! The take-out a Swauk is rough; some careful rowing and some muscle could work with a drift boat. Scout carefully! We went from 830 - 530, with some effort to gain a little distance early. The Teanaway clouded up the river a little, but not bad. We saw March Browns, a few Skwalas, midges, and some BWO. There was not a lot of top water action nor were there any prolific hatches. I kept nymphing most of the day and managed one dinky guy. The biggest fish was taken on a March Brown dry.

I think your speculation about spring hatches and lower water levels is correct. It's a great float, with tons of great looking water.

Tom

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.