Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Not sure where you're going to be but you might want to check with either Worley-bugger or Evening Hatch in E'burg, also Red's in the lower canyon to see what's happenning. The flows are dropping and the visibility is getting better. The weather looks like is will be overcast (probably freezing fog in the a.m.) with highs around mid 30's. Nymphs and streamers may be your only option.

Good luck!

Greg

·
Registered
315 Posts
I fished the lower canyon (around the Lmuma site) with a wooly worm streamer and caught one nice 15" rainbow. Started around 12:15 p.m. Only saw one fish rise in over 2 hours there. The water temps was cold (no thermometer but it had to be 35 degrees). Air temp was 32-34 degrees. Light breeze. Only saw a couple of midge flying around.

Fished mile post 9 and nothing. Fished up at mile post 17. There were a few fish rising to tiny black midge (size 24). No takers. Left the water around 4:30 p.m. Only saw three other guys fishing the lower canyon (not counting the one drift boat that floated from Lmuma down to Roza.

Suppose to rain Sat. & Sun.

Good luck!

Greg

·
Registered
148 Posts
Thanks for the reports.

I'm about to take off and give it a shot in the rain or snow.
Thanks for the info. I'm going around the Cle Elum area and will definitely be sticking to the streamers.

I'll give a report when I get back.

TDub

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Fished yesterday as I said I would. I spent most of the day with a stone fly nvmph and a red Copper John dropper. Lots of white fish and no trout. at about 3:00 I switched over to a sink tip and a dark green fly with some flash. I think it was actually a steelhead fly. At any rate I had a real solid take on the first cast and then nothing.

Whats the best way to fish a streamer/sink tip combo in a river like the Yakima for trout? I let a little belly form in the current, so the fly drifted somewhat faster than the current on the swing.

Jeff

·
Registered
148 Posts
I was skunked today.

Oh well, it wasn't such a bad day. No rain.

I fished a couple of buggers, zonker, and an egg sucking leech. All with the same result. I think I need to learn how to fish like this. I mostly fish dry flies.

TDub

·
Driven by irrational exuberance.
1,656 Posts
My red hot olive skulpin zonker did nothing for me today. I tried some nymphs and other streamers,
but basically was skunked after many hours except for a couple good hits. A CWU student caught a
couple along side me on a prince nymph and a stone nymph.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.