Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to be down in Yakima next weekend and would like to target smallmouth but don't know where to fish for them on the Yak. What part of the river would you recomend to catch smallies and what flies should I have with me? Oh yeah I will be fishing from the bank. Any info would be great. Thanks

fly15

G

·
You'll have to utilize maps to ascertain public access on the lower river (if nobody else knows) as I've not actually been there. I think it is best fished by boat. But, I've heard that the lower river below Prosser is one of the top three or five smallmouth fisheries in the state (albeit with some of the top three or five highest pesticide/chemical concentrations in fish in THE COUNTRY). I also hear that the closer to the Columbia, the better. The Lower Snake upstream (err... reservoir) of Pasco has some good smallmouth fishing as well.
Flies: BH RL Wooly Buggers #2 - #8 (Blk, Olv, Brn, Pur)
Cone Head Muddlers #2 - #8 (or standard weighted)
Natural Zonkers #2 - #8
Big Bushy Dries (stimi's, humpys)
Deer Hair Rubber Leg Poppers
Most good fly shops have a pretty good selection of various warmwater freshwater patterns (some smally specific), and should be able to lend good knowledge.
In lieu of any better information (c'mon dudes)...
Have Fun!
:beer2

·
Registered
407 Posts
OK, I'll chime in......have never fished the yakima any higher up than Benton City, lots of access below there, depending on how high the water is...for sheer numbers of fish, a #6 or #8 woolly bugger underneath an indicator, with a bit of motion thrown in once in a while, will be good. For most fun, a deer hair mouse along the deeper banks, sometimes this brings a total blank, and other days.........:) :), BTW, I usually use a black mouse, as if it matters. While you are there, cast something small to some tailing carp!! If you would like some access points below BC, let me know. ANybody know how high the water is????

·
Not Quite A Luddite, But Can See One From Here
1,433 Posts
RiverFishing

Don't know how much this will help, but assuming you're really wanting to drive, there are numerous access points in the Tri-Cities from West Richland through Richland. I can get specifics in you need them.
However, I've heard that from Prosser down past Benton City are where the best spots are, though I haven't got that far yet.
As to the water, it's risen quite a bit over the past two or three days and might very well be unfishable right now, or at least unwadeable and unproductive. By the weekend it could be back down.
I've had my best success with woolly buggers and larger nymphs (sizes 8 and 10). I haven't tried the dropper method mentioned above but it makes sense.
From talking to a couple of other guys I'm guessing they're on their (spawning) beds now in some places, so put 'em back if you catch 'em.

Mike:thumb

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.