Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
777 Posts
I'll be over there on Sunday myself, probably will be pretty busy. I've been fishing it a lot, I fished it last Tuesday and the previous Thursday and Friday, bring size 18 Bead Head Brassies, size 18 BWO CDC emergers, size 22 CDC midge emergers, size 22 midge dry flies, size 18 hare's ears, and whatever streamers. Wouldn't help to include a few size 16 Hi-Vis Parachute Mahogany's as well, as there have been the occasional hatch and they help as a indicator fly when fishing a nearly invisible size 22. I've been fishing nothing but a double nymph rig, too lazy to switch to streamers, and I've managed to lose two fish in the 18" range, but lots in the smaller range. Even caught a few on a size 16 Lightning Bug. See you on the water!

worldanglr

·
Registered
32 Posts
I just moved to Cle Elum from Western Wyoming, and honestly, I am a little disappointed. However, I have been hitting the Yak and have been getting a few ok fish. Last week, I fished for 1-1/2 hours and only got one over 20", but did land several cutts in the 16-18" range. I usually get several in the 18-20 range, but it hasn't been that consistent.

I have a drift boat, and keep hoping to meet up with someone that will let me row them in exchange for some info. If any of you folks are looking for some company, maybe we can work out an exchange. Rob.

·
Driven by irrational exuberance.
1,656 Posts
Welcome to Washington.

The Spey Casting Kid, the guy I've been fishing with on the Klickitat, moved here from Wyoming two years ago. He was like you, disappointed in the trout fishing. Then he caught some steelhead!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Muddlerphilia,

I'd like to add to FlyFlyAway's comment. Do you measure your fish? Or are the lengths just estimates? Routinely catching fish from 18" to OVER 20" is a truly remarkable achievement for the Yakima.

Joe

·
Registered
32 Posts
If the fish is exceptional, I will measure it. Last week I caught and measured one 22" rainbow, and another that came to 18". The biggest cutt was a little smaller, but I didn't measure it. Those cutts are sure looking sharp right now with all their nice bright colors.

I heard the same thing from a local, that big fish are rare. I go after them with mondo big muddlers in the deep holes and have a little luck. It is easier now that the water is lower. Funny thing is I caught almost all of my big fish within 1/2 mile of the South Cle Elum bridge. Rob.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Well ok, I have only caught 3 over 20", so there was some serious bragging going on. But, I have only been out once when I didn't catch at least one fish close to 18", and I usually get 2-3 in the 16-18 range. I went a couple of weeks ago and only got one fish, it was in the 18-20" range (witnessed but not measured), I then fished for hours without turning another. Sad thing was, I got it on my first cast. Rob.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
IMO, once you catch your first Steelhead on a fly, you will rarely go back to trout fishing again. There is NOTHING in fresh water that compares to a 15lb Steelslab with the acrobats of a rainbow and the stamina of a Runaway-freight-train that will take you to your backing in seconds flat!
The biggest trout around here is probably in the Eastern lakes, Lenice,Dryfalls,etc. which average 18-20". For western lakes probably Cady for huge Rainbows that average 18-22" and bigger, and Silver Lake for huge browns that average 18" and up!
There could be other lakes that I don't know of that produce bigger.

"Follow Me and I will make you fishers of Men"
Matthew 4:19

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.