Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's probably too late to be asking this since I'm going to the lower canyon today, but is 24-2500 cfs to high for wading that section.

It seems to be going up since yesterday's warmer weather.

Otherwise I'll just try to hit it before the Teanaway river.

What do ya think?

TDub:dunno

·
AKA: Gregory Mine
998 Posts
it will be tough, but there are spots you can find. it will be tough, thick water, but you can get out. i have been fishing the banks anyway, so stay close.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I've waded the lower canyon up to 3000 cfs without any problems. It does limit my access to some spots but there are still plenty of places I can get into. I don't know where you looked but the levels below Umtaneum seems to be running below 2200 cfs.

Good luck! I plan on being up there tomorrow.

Greg

"In our family, there is no clear
line between religion and fly
fishing" Norman Maclean

·
Driven by irrational exuberance.
1,656 Posts
Thanks to daylight savings time, I bank fished the lower canyon last night after work. The flows are as low and clear as you can get this time of year. But the only bite on was the ticks. I got around 50 off my two pups. I've seen the BWOs and the March Browns popping in the early afternoon, and there still is some skwalas around. The female skwalas are showing a big black egg sack. But I'm puzzled by what to try in the evening now. There were lots of tiny tan caddis already. I tried my caddis with no success, (probably not small enough). I tried skwala, bwo spinners, skulpins, but only got a hit on an alevin. That hit knocked its yolk sac off, and I didn't get any other hits. As darkness closed in, there was a lot of surface slirpers but it was too dark to tie on anything else.

Another thing - I drove past two carloads of guys booting up to fish below Roza. Isn't it closed below Roza April 1 through May
31?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I appreciate the info. Unfortunately I missed your posts before I had to leave, but still managed to find a nice place in the canyon to fish.

I fished from around 11:45-3:00. It stayed mostly cloudy until around 2 then it got sunny and warmed up in a hurry. Hatches slowed down then.

There were some March Brown's and BWO's for most of the time. I didn't see any Skwala's, but I probably left a little early.

I had some luck on a nice March Brown pattern I got at Reds, but only managed to LDR those fish. One was a nice size.

No luck with the BWO's during a hatch. Oh well.

Anyway, it was a very nice day on the river. Maybe I learned something. The Yakima always seems to school me, but that can't last forever.

TDub

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.