Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I spent September 10 - 17th in the Yakutat Borough area, my first ever visit to Alaska. Why did I wait so long? What did I experience? Rain - lots of it, no mosquitoes, icebergs in the bay, coho to the fly, a break down on a transportation vehicle, coastal brown bears, more coho and some great meals.

Water Water resources Brown bear Kodiak bear Plant

a young coastal brown bear

Food Tableware Recipe Ingredient Pork

Moose tenderloin (absolutely delicious)

Water Liquid Crocodile Crocodilia Fluid

Coho to the fly (black rabbit strip leech, heavily weighted)

Sky Water Plant Natural landscape Snow

Spectacular vistas - Mt. Elias at 18,008 feet to the summit, picture from about 6 feet above sea level.

I rode the bus from E'burg to SeaTac and the reverse coming home. My wife picked me up at CWU and asked "what's your next big adventure", a one word response "Alaska". Why in the world did I wait until in my mid-70's to go?

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Weirdly, I have been to Alaska only on business and never made it there to fish. I've fished the NWT and hunted on their border in Alberta, but never Alaska. In nearly 30 years! Definitely on our list now that my wife has the fly fishing bug. Thanks for the post. Reinforces the desire to prioritize some trips up there.

·
Registered
7,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Weirdly, I have been to Alaska only on business and never made it there to fish. I've fished the NWT and hunted on their border in Alberta, but never Alaska. In nearly 30 years! Definitely on our list now that my wife has the fly fishing bug. Thanks for the post. Reinforces the desire to prioritize some trips up there.
I'm hoping to book the same fishery next year. Those big coho, fresh from the ocean, spoiled me for trout fishing here in the Basin - I'm getting over it and hope to catch some trout Tuesday. But first, a few more pictures.

Leg Plant Reptile Scaled reptile Grass

Water Smile Sky Tree Fisherman

Ocean caught
Leg Plant Reptile Scaled reptile Grass
Water Smile Sky Tree Fisherman

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Gorgeous fish, Buzzy. I found myself less inclined to fish for trout after getting a taste of sea run and saltwater fish on the fly, but I think you'll find yourself warming right back up to it when you get back on it. Different, but still very enjoyable and satisfying. Happy fishing!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts