Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm lucky enough to be heading out to Yellowstone for a day or two in early October. I will have my wife and kiddies with me, so fishing time will be fairly limited. Here's the question...If you had to narrow it down to one or two places to fish during fall inside the park, where would they be? What would be the flies of choice?

If you'd prefer to send a private e-mail vs. a general public post, that would be fine.

Thanks in advance!

- Tom

·
Stop Killing Wild Steelhead!
5,673 Posts
That would be my favorite time of year there. Try the Madison near West Yellowstone, and right on up to the Firehole. That would be good for a two day trip with family. Keep the family away from the Bison that time of year especially. Easy road parking and wading since the crowds are back at home by then, working overtime to pay off their summer vacation credit card bills.

In October the Brown Trout are headed up the Madison to spawn way above, so you can intercept some bruisers. Big Dark Ugly stuff; Bunnies, Leeches, Sculpins etc., will yeild nice trout.And big fluffy dry flies skittered on the surface, waking flies, stupidly big and splashy. Big payoff is the local Rainbows and Cutts, who are skulking along with the Browns, waiting for an egg meal. They will snatch your fly too. Some of these fall fish are up out of the lake and are very nasty and big. No crowds, cool weather, big fish.

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
One crisp morning in early October, long, long ago (Nixon was president then), I caught what was then my biggest trout, a brown, on a large maribou streamer. It was from the Number One Hole, Back-of-the-Barns. If you ask nicely, one of the fly shops in West Yellowstone may give you directions there. And you should read one or more of the books by the late, great Charles E. Brooks.
That seasonal spawning run of brown trout up from the lower river is one of the great annual events in Yellowstone.

G

·
I'll shamelessly second Lil Stone - Madison for those big browns (I went in Mid-Sept and was a little early that year), Firehole because it's so surreal and because fish that had fled to tribs through Aug-Sept (to escape too much heat) have dropped back down into the mainstem by then. The Firehole's trout have adapted to higher than average water temps, but there is a contingent which flees the worst of it, then... October.
Who doesn't love October???????

:smokin

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.