Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Your Best Fishing Experience: 2000-2009

4K views 41 replies 40 participants last post by  dryflylarry 
#1 ·
With the passing of another decade, best and worst of the "aughts" lists have been popping up all over the media lately. It got me thinking, what were my top fishing destinations from 2000-2009. For me, the last decade has been great when it comes to fishing. I have lived in a number of states and fished a lot of different rivers. So here is my list of top 10 fisheries I have fished. What are yours? If you would like them kept private, say something along the lines of "secret river in eastern WA" and give a little description. My list is all trout rivers but feel free to throw in bass fisheries, rivers, lakes, salt, etc.

1. Bitterroot River 2000-2003- MT. I nearly had to attend an additional year of grad school because I fished this river so much from 2000-2003.
2. Rock Creek 2000-2003- MT. No surprise, I was living in Missoula!
3. Fire Hole River 2000-2003, 2006-2008 - YNP WY. The fish are not huge, but there is just something about fishing around geysers .
4. Farmington River 2004-2006 - CT. I am from CT and moved back from 2004-2006. Awesome little tailwater and designated "Wild and Scenic", very rare in Southern New England.
5. Housatonic River 2004-2006- CT. A great river with big trout and nice smallies as well.
6. Metoliuos River 2007-2008 - OR. I only had the chance to fish this river twice and once I was skunked. An incredible river not just for the big bulls but also the scenery
7. Clark Fork River 2000-2003 - MT. Like the Bitterroot, I LOVED the trico hatch on this river.
8. Frying Pan River 2009 - CO . I landed an 18 inch rainbow on my first ever cast in this river, and its twin two casts later from the same run.
9. Blue River 2009 - CO . I love this river, especially if you move downriver from the crowds in Silverthorne.
10. Williams Fork River 2009 - CO. Another river I have only fished a couple of times. I love it and I have caught by biggest ever fish on a dry-fly here. I imagine I will spend many more days on this river in the coming years.

Honorable mention: Forks of the Snoqualmie - WA, Yakima River - WA, South Platte River - CO, Beaver Brook - CT, Roaring Fork River - CO, Arkansas River - CO, Taylor River - CO, Madison River - MT, 2 "secret" small creeks - MT.

There are so many other rivers the list can go on forever. No WA rivers on my top ten list and that is entirely my fault. I did not make enough time to get out and enjoy what WA has to offer when I lived their - my mistake :beathead:

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.